Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Current Event

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? Coyotes
 Sept. 11, 2007
by the Wildlife Conservation Society 
 Studies show that coyote population in areas also inhabited by wolves can result in around a 30% decrease in population. Coyotes are beginning to form packs to increase their odds when attacked by wolves. Even wolves don't top the mortality rate that humans cause on coyotes. About 29% is the mortality rate caused by humans on coyotes, wolves have only caused a 39% decrease in the coyote population in Yellow Stone since their reintroduction but this new behavior seems to keep the numbers from too low.
       I really liked this article wolves are my favorite animal and studying their behavior is one of the debates I have when I think about what career I would like to have, so I found it easy to read this article. Wolves and coyotes will always be rivals but they both definitely contribute to their ecosystem(s).

Bibliography:Wildlife Conservation Society. "Who's Afraid Of The Big, Bad Wolf? Coyotes." ScienceDaily, 11 Sep. 2007. Web. 26 Oct. 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment